Hail Fellows, well met
The ASHRAE Award for Distinguished Public Service recognizes distinguished public service by an ASHRAE member. The recipient is Kenneth M. Fulk, P.E., principal and chief mechanical engineer, Reed, Wells Benson and Co., Dallas, Texas.
Fellow ASHRAE is a membership grade that recognizes distinction in the arts and sciences of environmental technology. The honor is earned through achievement as a researcher, designer, educator or engineering executive. The Society elevated 22 members to the grade of Fellow ASHRAE:
* Zahid Ayub, Ph.D., P.E., president, Isotherm, Arlington, Texas.
* Pradeep K. Bansal, Ph.D., a professor of mechanical engineering, director of the Energy and Fuels Research Unit, and associate dean postgraduate, faculty of engineering, the University of Auckland, New Zealand
* Stephen A. Becker, P.E., vice president, Mechanical Design Concepts, Fresno, Calif.
* Steven T. Bushby, leader, Mechanical Systems and Controls Group, Building and Fire Research Laboratory, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, Md.
* Tin-Tai Chow, Ph.D., C.Eng., principal leader and director, Building Energy and Environmental Technology Research Unit, Division of Building Science and Technology, Faculty of Science and Engineering, City University of Hong Kong
* Timothy Dwyer, C.Eng., a professor, Department of Engineering Systems, London South Bank University
* Jay E. Field, Ph.D., senior chemist, Trane Residential Systems, Tyler, Texas
* Leon R. Glicksman, Ph.D., professor of building technology and mechanical engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Cambridge, Mass.
* Warren G. Hahn, P.E., CEO, Hahn Engineering, Tampa, Fla.
* Sheila Hayter, P.E., senior engineer, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Golden, Colo.
* David F. Hughes, C.Eng., Beckenham, Kent, United Kingdom
* Wichai Laksanakorn, P.E., chairman, W. and Associates Consultants, Bangkok, Thailand
* Thomas J. McNamara, P.E., principal mechanical engineer, LM Consultants, Vernon Hills, Ill.
* Gilbert Nye, P.E., president, Lawrence Nye Andersen Associates, Fresno, Calif.
* Douglas T. Reindl, Ph.D., P.E., a professor, University of Wisconsin-Madison, and director of the Industrial Refrigeration Consortium, Madison, Wis.
* Peter H. Rumsey, P.E., principal, Rumsey Engineers, Oakland, Calif.
* Jitendra B. “J.B.” Singh, president, J&P Engineers, Linwood, N.J.
* Curtis R. Slayton, P.E., president and CEO, Consulting Services International, Louisville, Ky.
* Arvind G. Surange, chief consultant and proprietor, ACR Project Consultants, Pune, India
* Douglas Stuart Walkinshaw, Ph.D., P.Eng., president, Indoor Air Technologies, Ottawa, Canada
* Thomas E. Watson, P.E., chief engineer, McQuay International, Staunton, Va.
* Yuanhui Zhang, Ph.D., P.E., a professor and section leader, Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, Ill.
The ASHRAE Technology Awards recognize outstanding achievements by members who have successfully applied innovative building designs, which incorporate ASHRAE standards for effective energy management and indoor air quality. Four projects received first-place ASHRAE Technology Awards:
* Kenneth Sonmor, Ecovision Consulting, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, in the existing commercial buildings category for his retrofit of a 13-floor office tower, 4200 St. Laurent Office Tower, Montreal
* Laurier Nichols, P.E., Dessau, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, in the new public assembly category for Centre Communautaire de Mistissini, Mistissini, Quebec, Canada
* Thomas H. Durkin, P.E., Durkin and Villalta Partners Engineering, Indianapolis, Indiana, in the existing institutional buildings category for HVAC renovations at George Washington Carver Elementary School, Indianapolis
* Jacques De Grace, Pageau Morel and Associates, Montreal, Quebec Canada, in the new institutional buildings category for the Normand-Maurice Building, Montreal
* Also in the Technology Awards, Eric Kirkland, Smithgroup, Phoenix, Ariz., receives second place in the new institutional buildings category for the National Renewable Energy Laboratory Scienceand Technology Facility, Golden, Colorado.
The ASHRAE Student Design Project Competition challenged teams of students to create architectural design as well as select and design HVAC&R systems for a 60,000-square-foot community recreation center.
First place in the HVAC system selection category is awarded to Alyssa Adams, Calvin Douglass, James Gawthrop Jr., Justin Herzing, Amy Leventry, Michael Smith and Gregory Smithmyer of The Pennsylvania State University.
First place in the HVAC system design category goes to Wiroj Ekwongmunkong, Chaowanaphan Lekkham, Pakorn Nontiwatwanich, Patarapol Puangkum and Supayos Suveepattananont of Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand. First place in the architectural design category is awarded to Alexandra Gibson, Justina Jones, Bryan Quarles and Bazigha Tufail of the University of Kansas.
The E.K. Campbell Award honors outstanding achievements by engineering educators. The recipient is Judi Steciak, Ph.D., P.E. The award honors an individual for outstanding service and achievement in teaching and is presented by the ASHRAE Life Members Club. Steciak is associate professor of mechanical engineering, University of Idaho-Boise.
The John F. James International Award is given to an ASHRAE member who has done the most to enhance the Society’s international presence. The recipient is Prem Jain, Ph.D., Fellow ASHRAE, chairman and managing director, Spectral Services Consultants (New Delhi, India).