The recipient is Presidential Member Roderick Kirkwood, Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member.
Fellow ASHRAE is a membership grade that recognizes distinction in the arts and sciences of environmental technology and is earned through achievement as a researcher, designer, educator, or engineering executive. The Society elevated 13 members to the grade of Fellow ASHRAE:
• Constantinos Balaras is research director, Institute for Environmental Research and Sustainable Development, National Observatory of Athens, Greece.
• Van Baxter is senior research and development engineer, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN.
• Vin Gupta is senior principal engineer, 3M Company, St. Paul, MN.
• Mark Modera is professor, civil environmental engineering, mechanical and aerospace engineering, and director, Western Cooling Efficiency Center, University of California at Davis.
• Darin Nutter is associate professor of mechanical engineering, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville.
• Tom Phoenix is principal and vice president, Moser Mayer Phoenix Associates, Greensboro, NC.
• Arshad Sheikh is owner/principal consultant, SES Consulting Engineers, Lahore, Pakistan.
• Edward Vineyard is group leader, building equipment research, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN.
• Iain Walker is scientist, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, CA.
• Brian Warwicker is consultant, Brian Warwicker Partnership, Ltd., London, U.K.
• Bill Worek is professor and director, Energy Technology Laboratory, University of Illinois-Chicago.
• Xudong Yang is Chang-Jiang professor and deputy director, Institute of Built Environment, School of Architecture, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
• Jianshun Zhang is professor and director, building energy and environmental systems lab, department of mechanical engineering and aerospace engineering, Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY.
The ASHRAE Technology Awards recognize outstanding achievements by members who have successfully applied innovative building designs, which incorporate ASHRAE standards for effective energy management and IAQ. Six projects received first-place ASHRAE Technology Awards:
• Roland Charneux, P.Eng., ASHRAE Fellow, ASHRAE Certified Healthcare Facility Design Professional, Pageau Morel & Associates, Montreal, Quebec, Canada in the new commercial buildings category for Mountain Equipment Co-op, Longueuil, Quebec, Canada. The building is owned by the co-op.
• Ken Sonmor, Ecovision Consulting, Montreal, Quebec, Canada in the existing commercial buildings category for the IKEA Brossard Distribution Center, Quebec, Canada. The building is owned by IKEA Distribution Services.
• René Dansereau, Dessau, Longueuil, Quebec, Canada the new educational facilities category for the Université de Sherbrooke – Campus de Longueuil, Quebec, Canada. The building is owned by the university.
• Paul Marmion, Stantec Consulting, Ltd., Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada in the new health care facilities category for Abbotsford Regional Hospital and Cancer Centre, British Columbia, Canada. The building is sponsored by Laing Investments Management Services and owned by the hospital.
• Blake Ellis, P.E., Burns & McDonnell, Kansas City, MO in the new industrial facilities or professes category for thermal energy storage at Texas Meidcal Center, Houston. The owner is Thermal Energy Corp.
• Luc Simard, Compressor Systems Control (CSC), Inc., Les Coteaux, Quebec, Canada in the existing industrial facilities or presses category for the Arena Marcel Dutil, St-Gédéon-de-Beauce, Quebec, Canada. The building is owned by the Municipalite St-Gédéon-de-Beauce.
The ASHRAE Student Design Project Competition challenged teams of students to create an integrated sustainable building design as well as select and design HVACR systems for the Drake Well Museum located in Titusville, PA, the site where Edwin L. Drake drilled the world’s first oil well in 1859 and launched the modern petroleum industry. First place in HVAC System Design was awarded to Holly Brink, Michael Crabb, James Dougherty, Andrew Gilliam, and Gina Halbom of University of Nebraksa-Omaha. First place in HVAC System Selection was awarded to Lynn Gualtieri, Evan Oda, Kristin Porter, Navid Saiidnia, Jeffrey Wong, and Cameron Young of California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, CA. First place in the Integrated Sustainable Building Design was awarded to Qi Te, Zhang Qiqi, and Chen Yuanyi of Tianjin University, China.
The John F. James International Award is given to an ASHRAE member who has done the most to enhance the Society’s international presence. The recipient is Edward Ka Cheung Tsui, managing director, Intelligent Technologies, Ltd., Hong Kong.
The E.K. Campbell Award honors outstanding achievements by engineering educators and is presented by the ASHRAE Life Members Club. The recipient is Wayne Helmer, Ph.D., P.E., professor of mechanical engineering, Arkansas Tech University, Russellville, AR.