Over the past two months, this column has addressed the issue of sampling systems for field functional performance testing. In the January 2014 column, I noted some of the calculated risks the building owner assumes when making the decision to not test 100% of identical new or modified systems. This month, I will present two options to help mitigate those risks for less cost than additional field testing.
For example, if the commissioning plan includes field testing 25% of the VAV terminals, what can be done with the other 75% to confirm some rudimentary compliance with project requirements? With today’s web-accessed building automation systems, the commissioning professional can observe system operation from his/her office. There is valuable information to be gained from both live graphics displays and historic trend logs.