"We started by tearing out sections of walls to expose the concrete block underneath, but we did not find any evidence of mold," explained Randy Remer, construction supervisor at JGM. "We also cleaned the carpeting, but that did nothing to eliminate the mildew odors. The tenant tried using ionizing-type air cleaners and dehumidifiers in the space, but the portable air cleaning units generated a smell of static electricity," he continued.
"Egan Companies has had previous experience with Steril-Aire UVC Emitters in a variety of buildings, where the lights are used to control mold at its source," Strandberg said. "Installed opposite the cooling coil, the high output UVC lamps kill existing mold in the system and - equally important - prevent mold from growing back. They also stop mold-related allergens, bacteria, and viruses from spreading through the occupied space via the air-handling system, further improving IAQ," he noted.