Plan For A Better BAS
In a campus environment over time, it’s not hard to lose control of the controls. When you tackle the situation for the long-term good, take time to create a master plan. Get a few tips on that here
CITY OF HOPKINS: A MICROCOSM OF THE USUAL SUSPECTS
- Buildings of different ages, with the years of construction ranging from 1954 to 2004
- In some cases, buildings underwent retrofits or renovations
- Buildings with no existing BAS or network infrastructure
- Buildings with legacy proprietary systems
- A variety of equipment and communication protocols
MASTER PLAN PROCESS
STAGE 2: REQUIREMENTS
- Infrastructure and technology. Focused on the underpinnings of BAS and controls, these requirements set direction for foundational elements such as network infrastructure, open standard communication protocols, and user interface platforms.
- Energy and sustainability. Requirements pertaining to functionality necessary to maximize efficiency and/or sustainability.
- Operations and maintenance. Operational requirements are process-focused with intent to establish the basis for and enable continuous improvement of building operations, maintenance, and energy management.
- Financial. Parameters for cost/budget and return on investment.
STAGE 3: EVALUATION
STAGE 4: CONCEPT
- Network security
- Accommodation of existing systems as well as new systems
- Interconnection of buildings within a portfolio
- Scalability of the system to accommodate future additions
COMMUNICATION PROTOCOLS AND TECHNOLOGIES
- Building engineers/operators
- Commissioning agents
- Facility management
- Floor plans and areas
- Equipment, such as chillers, boilers, air handling units, rooftop units, and terminal units
- Systems, such as chiller plants and boiler plants
TRENDING, HISTORICAL DATA, AND REPORTS
- Collected reliably, with appropriate buffering and storage media;
- Collected at time intervals and for durations corresponding with the intended use of the data; and
- Stored/archived in an open database format that can be exported for analysis in common spreadsheet tools.