VRF Heat Pumps In The Real World
Wide temperature swings, submetering deficiencies, bloated carbon footprint … these are but three of the problems tackled in two contrasting projects in the Northwest.
THE LITTLE DESCHUTES LODGE
A PROGRESSIVE DESIGN TO MEET THE OWNER’S NEEDS
- A design that provided clean, comfortable amenities at the lowest operating cost;
- Low utility bills and low maintenance expenses;
- Reduced energy consumption that would pay back for the life of the facility.
HEAT PUMPS AND VENTILATORS
- Four heat pumps (Mitsubishi City-Multi PQRY P96TGMU, 8 tons each) to serve the apartments, office, reading, and fitness rooms;
- One Florida heat pump (ES-070, 6-tons) to serve the community room and kitchen;
- One 300-cfm ERV to serve the community room and kitchen;
- One 800-cfm ERV to serve the rest of the building.
DUCTED FAN COILS
PUT LOW ENERGY HOUSING ON ANOTHER LINE
- The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/ HUD?src=/about/mission) supports the development of affordable housing.
- The goal for residential housing should be net-zero energy, as set forth in this article produced for the U.S. Department of Energy by the National Renewable Energy Laboratory, “Moving Toward Zero Energy Homes” (http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy04osti/35317.pdf).
- Some studies show (www.energystar.gov) that utility costs represent the single largest controllable cost in an apartment community — typically accounting for 25% to 35% of the monthly cost. Reducing energy use by 15% in a typical 250-unit master-metered community will increase net operating income and can enhance asset value by over $1 million (using a 6% capitalization rate). In a similarly sized individually metered community, these same savings may increase asset value by over $200,000 annually.
LEWIS COUNTY PUD
- Increase zoning for better comfort;
- Quiet operation;
- Submetering capability;
- Allow building to remain occupied during construction;
- Allow phased installation;
- Reduce carbon footprint;
- Keep hard ceilings intact;
- Provide control system that is simple and easy to operate;
- Use existing supply/return duct for DOAS with a heat recovery unit.