Building information modeling (BIM) standards, objects, software and more will be the focus of the National BIM Conference sponsored by the buildingSMART alliance and AEC Science and Technology. The National BIM Conference will be held during Ecobuild America (EBA), running December 5-9, 2011, in Washington, DC. There will be a wealth of educational opportunities offered for government agencies, building owners, contractors, architects and all building industry professionals.
BIM uses advanced digital technology to represent all of the physical and functional characteristics of a building. Using a computer program, the design team can collaboratively design in three dimensions, which can increase productivity in building design and construction. BIM is changing the way the building industry does business. It is a critical tool for increasing interoperability and reducing design building costs, especially with regard to green and sustainable structures. Several types of BIM educational sessions, including case studies, standard updates, green BIM and more, will be offered throughout BIM Week.
Sessions and meeting at the December conference include:
- Introduction to building
- SMART Introduction to NBIMS-US
- Using BIM at the Schematic Phase
- How BIM Will Transform Education: A Series from Major Universities
- BIM Interoperability: A Modern Story of the Tower of Babel
- Building Smart BIMs
- BIM in the DoD's Military Health System to Improve Facility Life-Cycle Management
- Modeling the Future of Education: The Multi-disciplinary BIM Project at WIT
- Going Lean with BIM
- A Research Framework for Building Information Modeling
- 5 Years, 50 Projects: Lessons from Ongoing Private Sector BIM Implementation
- Enhancing High-Performance Building by Integrating Green into BIM Tools
- BIG BIM BANG
- BIM and Comparative Structural Life Cycle Analysis
- LEED Certification Facilitation: A BIM Server Approach
- Knowledge Management in BIM
- The Facility Maintenance and Operations Committee's Construction Operations Building information exchange (COBie) CMMS/CAFM Challenge
- Specifiers' Properties information exchange (SPie) Presentation
- Life Cycle Model Demonstration (LCie)
- buildingSMART alliance Member Meeting
- National BIM Standard-United States™ Committee, Sub-Committee and Work Group Meetings
BIM products and services will be on display during the two-day exhibit on December 7-8. The exhibit also features: BIMStorm, presented by Onuma, which will focus on Energy, BIM/GIS integration and Cloud Computing. BIMStorm will demonstrate full life-cycle use of BIM, including green product integration, along with real-time energy data connected to BIM. Its interactive format invites teams of attendees to participate via smart phone or laptop in a live workshop charrette on the 3D design of hospitals and federal facilities in real time.
Demonstrations will include how BIM can support EcoDistricts and High-Performance Buildings. The AEC Interoperability Center is a hands-on collaborative workplace, where design and construction professionals, building product manufacturers and commercial software companies can showcase current IT and BIM developments, BIM objects and the state of applications compatibility. Plug-and-play kiosks will be set up for firms to rent and show their solutions.