The American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) recognized 56 members and one chapter for contributions to ASHRAE and the HVAC&R industry at the Society’s 2009 Annual Conference held June 20-24.
The Louise and Bill Holladay Distinguished Fellow Award honors an ASHRAE Fellow for continuous preeminence in engineering or research work. The recipient is Wilbert F. Stoecker, Ph.D., P.E. Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, professor emeritus, Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
The Andrew T. Boggs Service Award recognizes a past Distinguished Service Award recipient for continuing, unselfish, dedicated and distinguished service. The recipient is Laurance S. Staples Jr., Life Member, who resides in Prairie Village, Kans.
The Exceptional Service Award recognizes Distinguished Award recipients who have continued to serve the Society faithfully and with exemplary effort. Five recipients were recognized:
* Mark C. Hegberg, product manager, Danfoss Heating Controls, Elmhurst, IL.
* Giustino N. Mastro, P.E., Life Member, associate director, Physical Plant, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT.
* Hugh D. McMillan III, P.E., senior mechanical engineer, CCRD Partners, Houston, TX.
* Andrew K. Persily, Ph.D., Fellow ASHRAE, group leader, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD.
* J. Thomas Sobieski, retired from York International Corp. as director of special products, Airside Products Group. He resides in Johnston, PA.
The Distinguished Service Award salutes members of any grade for giving freely of their time and talent to the Society. The following 18 members were selected:
* Hoy R. Bohanon Jr., P.E., senior commissioning authority, Working Buildings, Winston-Salem, NC.
* James J. Coogan, P.E., principal engineer, Siemens Building Technologies, Buffalo Grove, IL.
* Stephen W. Duda, P.E., director of mechanical engineering, Ross and Baruzzini, St. Louis, MO.
* Steven J. Emmerich, research assistant, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD.
* David F. Geary, Life Member, president, D.F. Geary Consultants, Annapolis, MD.
* Klas C. Haglid, P.E., CEO and president, Haglid Engineering, Hillsdale, NJ.
* Michael N. Hart, P.E., president, Energy Engineering Associates, Austin, TX.
* Jan L. M. Hensen, Ph.D., Fellow ASHRAE, a professor, Eindhoven University of Technology, Eindhoven, Netherlands.
* Giustino N. Mastro, P.E., associate director, Physical Plant, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT.
* Kirk T. Mescher, P.E., principal, C.M. Engineering, Columbia, MO.
* Keith C. Newcomer, regional sales supervisor, Piedmont Natural Gas, Cary, N.C.
* Bert Phillips, P.Eng., principal, UNIES, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.
* Wayne R. Reedy, Fellow ASHRAE, r etired engineering manager, Carrier Corp., Indianapolis, IN.
* Robert B. Risley, sales manager, FPL Energy Services, West Palm Beach, FL.
* Emily Sandru, Ph.D., P.E., research director, Research Facilities Design, San Diego, CA.
* M. Ginger Scoggins, P.E., president, Engineered Designs, Raleigh, NC.
* Peter Simmonds, Ph.D., Fellow ASHRAE, senior associate, IBE Consulting Engineers, Sherman Oaks, CA.
* John W. Wells III, P.E., president, Consulting Engineering Associates, Tampa, FL.
The Distinguished 50-Year Member Award is given to persons who have been a member of the Society for 50 years and have performed outstanding service to the Society. The following six members are receiving this award:
* Lloyd Barnard Jr., P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, a retired partner, Newcomb and Boyd, Atlanta.
* John C. Chato, Ph.D., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, professor emeritus, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
* Arthur P. Garbarino, P.Eng., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, president and CEO, Air Service, West Palm Beach, FL.
* Presidential Member George A. Jackins, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, principal, Engineering Resource Group, Birmingham, AL.
* Prem C. Jain, Ph.D., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, chairman and managing director, Spectral Services Consultants, New Delhi, India.
* George J. Jarik, Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, resides in Chicago. He was elevated to the grade of Fellow in 1977.
The Journal Paper Award honors the best paper or article published in ASHRAE Journal. James Cummings and Charles R. Withers Jr. are the recipients for their article, Problems Related to Air Handler Leakage . Cummings is program director, Buildings Research Division; and Withers is senior research analyst, Florida Solar Energy Center, a research institute of the University of Central Florida, Cocoa, FL.
The Crosby Field Award honors the best paper presented at an ASHRAE meeting. Chung Kee-Chiang, Ph.D., Tsai Kuo-Pao and You-Hsuan Wang, Ph.D., are the recipients for Performance of Local Ventilated Hood 1: A General Ventilation Working Environment, which also receives an ASHRAE Poster Presentation Award. Kee-Chiang is a professor of mechanical engineering and Kuo-Pao is a doctoral student, Graduate School of Engineering Science and Technology, National Yunlin University of Science and Technology, Yunlin, Taiwan; Wang is with Light Era Development Co., Taipei, Taiwan.
The following papers were selected to receive ASHRAE Transactions Paper Awards, which recognize the authors of the best papers presented at Society meetings.
* John Wright, Ph.D., P.Eng., receives an award for Calculating Center-Glass Performance Indices of Glazing Systems with Shading Devices Wright is a professor. Department of Mechanical and Mechatronics Engineering, University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.
* Iain Walker, Ph.D., and Darryl Dickerhoff receive an award for Field and Laboratory Evaluation of a New Ramping Technique for Duct Leakage Testing. Walker is a scientist and Dickerhoff is principal research associate, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, CA.
Saeed Fathali, Ph.D., and Andre Filiatrault, Ph.D., Eng., receive an award for Experimental Seismic Performance Evaluation of Integrated Isolation/Restraint Systems for Heavy HVAC Equipment. Fathali is a design engineer, Rutherford and Chekene, Structural and Geotechnical Engineers, Lafayette, CA; Filiatrault is a professor, Department of Civil, Structural and Environmental Engineering, University of Buffalo, State University of New York, Buffalo, NY.
Kevin Rafferty, P.E., receives an award for Design Issues in Commercial Open-Loop Heat Pump Systems. Rafferty is retired and resides in Chiloquin, OR.
The Willis H. Carrier Award is given to an ASHRAE member 32 years of age or younger for presenting an outstanding paper at a Society meeting. Alexander Michaud, an associate, Cerami and Associates, New York, N.Y., is the recipient for Experimental Investigation of Reflection of Airborne Noise at Duct Terminators.
The ASHRAE Poster Presentation Award is given to peer-reviewed technical papers with the best visual and technical information presented at Society meetings. The recipients are Nesreen Ghaddar, Ph.D., Kamel Ghali, Ph.D., Ralph Saade and Amer Keblawi for Design Charts for Combined Chilled Ceiling Displacement Ventilation Systems. Ghaddar is Qatar Chair in Energy Studies professor and Saade and Keblawi are graduate students, Department of Mechanical Engineering, American University of Beirut, Lebanon; Ghali is a professor of mechanical engineering, Beirut Arab University, Lebanon.
The Lincoln Bouillon Award recognizes a member who performs the most outstanding work in increasing the membership of the Society during the course of the year. The recipient is Michelle L. Swanson, P.E., senior project manager, M-E Engineers Inc., Denver, CO.
The Dan Mills Technical Award recognizes a Chapter Technology Transfer Committee (CTTC) chair who excels in meeting CTTC goals in technical, energy and government activities. The recipient is Oscar Cobb Jr., P.E., a mechanical engineer, Albert Kahn Associates, Detroit, MI.
The Chapter Program Star Award recognizes excellence in chapter program endeavors. The recipient is Robert J. Laneve, director of engineering, Air Control Products Inc., Cleveland, OH.
The William J. Collins Jr. Research Promotion Award is given to the chapter research promotion chair who raises the most money for ASHRAE research. The recipient is Robert G. Craddock, managing director, Inland Metal, Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada.
The Puerto Rico Chapter receives the Society's Government Activities Award, which recognizes an ASHRAE chapter for outstanding effort and achievement in state, provincial and local government activities in connection with technical issues related to the activities of the Society.
The Environmental Health Award recognizes excellence in volunteer service focused on environmental health issues. The recipient is Presidential Member H.E. “Barney” Burroughs, Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, president and CEO, Building Wellness Consultancy, Alpharetta, GA.
The Standards Achievement Award recognizes significant and exceptional service in the area of standards leadership and technical contribution. The recipient is Charles E. Dorgan, Ph.D., P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, professor emeritus, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI.
The ASHRAE Student Activities Achievement Award recognizes a Chapter Student Activities chair for service related to the goals and growth of student activities at all levels. The recipient is Ashish Kadam, assistant professor in the Mechanical Engineering Department, Sinhgad College of Engineering, Pune-Maharashtra-India.
The Milton W. Garland Commemorative Refrigeration Award for Project Excellence award recognizes the designer and owner of a non-comfort cooling refrigeration application that highlights innovation and/or new technologies. The recipient is Cesar Luis dL. Lim, PME, a consultant, SPTG/CTG, San Miguel Corp., metro Manila, Philippines.
The Refrigeration Comfort Cooling Award for Project Excellence recognizes innovation and/or new technologies. The recipient is Russell L. Heiken, P.E., executive vice president, X-nth, Maitland, FL.