Candidates are nominated by both NAFA members and members of the facility management community for the award, and must submit detailed and specific steps taken toward cleaning the indoor environment through better air filtration. A NAFA Certified Air Filter Specialist inspects these actions. Awards are judged by the NAFA Clean Air Award Committee and each recipient receives a custom designed trophy and recognition for their efforts. 2003 companies that use "best air filtration practices" in their buildings:
- CMS Energy Tower - Houston;
- Children's Hospital of Wisconsin - Milwaukee;
- Crescent Real Estate Services - Houston;
- Dalton Utilities, Chattanooga, TN;
- Elliot Hospital, Manchester, NH;
- Hines Interests - Dallas and;
- Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia.