The Exceptional Service Award recognizes Distinguished Award recipients who have continued to serve the society faithfully and with exemplary effort. Two recipients were recognized: Reinhard Radermacher, Ph.D., professor, Mechanical Engineering Department, and director of the Center for Environmental Energy Engineering, University of Maryland, College Park, MD; and Max Sherman, Ph.D., group leader of the Energy Performance of Buildings Group, Indoor Environment Department, at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Environmental Energy Technologies Division in Berkeley, CA.
The Distinguished Service Award salutes members of any grade for giving freely of their time and talent to the society. The following 14 members were selected:
- Hassan M. Bagheri, Ph.D., P.E., mechanical engineer, design and construction services, University of California-Irvine, Placentia, CA;
- Donald L. Brandt, Phoenix, AZ, recently retired after 31 years with Trane;
- Dale E. Carter, president, DEC Design Mechanical Consultants, New Westminster, BC, Canada;
- Margaret S. Drake, D.E., P.E., Life Member, president, Thermal Engineering Inc., Circleville, OH;
- James S. Elleson, P.E., owner, Elleson Engineering, Black Earth, WI;
- William S. Fleming, Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, executive vice president, Jacwill Services Inc., Madeira Beach, FL;
- Mark M. Hydeman, P.E., principal, Taylor Engineering Inc., Alameda, CA;
- Ronald E. Jarnagin, staff scientist/program manager, Battelle's Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA;
- Mark McLinden, Ph.D., chemical engineer, physical and chemical properties division, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Boulder, CO;
- Ira G. Poston, account manager, Duke Power, Burlington, NC;
- Thomas Reinarts, P.E., retired, Discovery Bay, CA;
- Richard M. Rose, owner and general manager of Mechanical Technology Inc., Billings, MT;
- Lynn F. Werman, P.E., senior project engineer, HDR Architecture Inc., Omaha, NB;
- Raymond Y.W. Wong, P.Eng., Fellow ASHRAE, associate professor, School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.
The Distinguished 50-Year Member Award is given to persons who have been a member of the society for 50 years and have performed outstanding service to the society. The following 14 members are receiving this award:
- Paul E. Britton, Life Member, Syracuse, NY;
- Robert G. Burkhardt, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, chairman, board of directors, Robert G. Burkhardt Associates Consulting Engineers, Chicago;
- John E. Copeland, Life Member, Huntington Valley, PA;
- Sam R. Fogleman, Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, Palmer, Puerto Rico;
- Don J. Gonzalez, Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, Sebring, FL;
- Erwin G. Hansen, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, being honored posthumously;
- Richard A. Hegberg, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, Chicago;
- Robert E. Jensen, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, Sedona, AZ;
- Norman I. Lesser, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, Moultonboro, NH;
- Robert F. Logsdon, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, Louisville, KY;
- Leonard J. O'Dell, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, Louisville, KY;
- Edward P. Sullivan, Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, St. Louis;
- John I. Woodworth, Life Member, Cincinnati;
- Edwin Young, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, Ann Arbor, MI;
The Journal Paper Award honors the best paper or article published in ASHRAE Journal. Joe Lstiburek, Ph.D., P.Eng., Fellow ASHRAE, is the recipient for writing Understanding Vapor Barriers, published in August 2004. Lstiburek is principal, Building Science Corp., Westford, MA.
The Crosby Field Award honors the best paper presented at an ASHRAE meeting. Ali Jalalzadeh-Azar, Ph.D., P.E., receives the award for his paper, A Comparison of Electrical and Thermal-Load Following CHP Systems. It also receives an ASHRAE Poster Presentation Award, given to peer-reviewed technical papers with the best visual and technical information presented at society meetings. Jalalzadeh-Azar is a senior engineer, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Golden, CO.
The ASHRAE Paper Awards are given in recognition of the best papers presented at ASHRAE meetings. The recipients are:
- Yaw Asiedu, Ph.D., Robert Besant, P.Eng., and Carey Simonson, Ph.D., P.Eng., receive an ASHRAE Symposium Paper Award for Wheel Selection for Heat and Energy Recovery in Simple HVAC Ventilation Design Problems. Asiedu is a defense scientist, Defense Research and Development Canada, Ottawa, Ontario; Besant, professor emeritus, and Simonson, an associate professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon.
- Roger Schmidt, Ph.D., Christian Belady, P.E., Alan Claassen, Tom Davidson, P.E., Magnus Herrlin, Ph.D., Shlomo Novotny and Rebecca Perry receive an ASHRAE Symposium Paper Award for Evolution of Data Center Environmental Guidelines. Schmidt is distinguished engineer, IBM Academy of Technology, Poughkeepsie, NY; Claassen, a senior engineer, IBM Corp., Rochester, MN; Belady, distinguished technologist, Hewlett-Packard, Richardson, TX Davidson, senior mechanical engineer, DLB Associates, Ocean, NJ; Herrlin, principal, ANCIS Inc., San Francisco; Novotny, Sun Microsystems, San Diego, and Perry, program manager, server central quality office, Sun Microsystems, San Diego.
- Arno Laesecke, Dr.-Ing., receives an ASHRAE Symposium Paper Award for Viscosity Measurements and Model Comparisons for the Refrigerant Blends R-410A and R-507A. Laesecke is a chemical engineer, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Boulder, CO.
- Karl Peterman, P.E., and Emanuel Mouratidis, P.Eng., receive an ASHRAE Symposium Paper Award for Pressure Drop and Acoustical Guidelines for HVAC Plenums (RP-1026). Peterman is manager of research and development, Vibro-Acoustics, Scarborough, Ontario; Mouratidis, manager of acoustics, Earth Tech Canada, Markham, Ontario.
The Willis Carrier Award recognizes an ASHRAE member 32 years of age or younger for presenting an outstanding paper at a society meeting. The recipient is Nicholas Long for the paper, Consumptive Water Use for U.S. Power Production.
The paper also receives an ASHRAE Poster Presentation Award, given to peer-reviewed technical papers with the best visual and technical information presented at society meetings. It was co-authored by Paul Torcellini, Ph.D., P.E., and Ronald Judkoff. Long is a staff engineer, and Torcellini is a senior engineer, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Golden, CO; and Judkoff is director, Buildings and Thermal Systems Center, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Golden, CO.
The Ralph G. Nevins Physiology and Human Environment Award is given to a researcher under the age of 40 for significant accomplishment in the study of bioenvironmental engineering and its effect on human comfort and health. The recipient is Christopher Chao, Ph.D., an associate professor of mechanical engineering, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Clear Water Bay, Hong Kong.
The Homer Addams Award is presented to a graduate student involved in outstanding HVAC&R research. The recipient is Dongyi Xiao, a graduate student in the School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Oklahoma State University.
The Lincoln Bouillon Award recognizes a member who performs the most outstanding work in increasing the membership of the society during the course of the year. The recipient is Matthew J. Armey, P.E., president of Armey Engineering, Fort Wayne, IN.
The William J. Collins Jr. Research Promotion Award is given to the chapter research promotion chair who raises the most money for ASHRAE research. The recipient is David Underwood, P.Eng., president, Isotherm Engineering, Mississauga, Ontario.
The ASHRAE Student Activities Achievement Award recognizes a Chapter Student Activities chair for service related to the goals and growth of student activities at all levels. The recipient is Samir Traboulsi, P.Eng., senior lecturer at the American University of Beirut and general manager of Thermotrade, Beirut, Lebanon.
The Dan Mills Technical Award recognizes a Chapter Technology Transfer Committee (CTTC) chair who excels in meeting CTTC goals in technical, energy and government activities. The recipient is Réjean Blais, P.E., project manager, mechanical/electrical, Dessau Soprin, Longueuil, Quebec.
The Chapter Program Star Award recognizes excellence in chapter program endeavors. This is the first time the award has been presented. The recipient is Frank Heine, manager of mechanical engineering, Thomas Associates Architects and Engineers, Ithaca, NY.
The Government Activities Award recognizes an ASHRAE chapter for outstanding effort and achievement in state, provincial and local government activities in connection with technical issues related to the activities of the society. The recipient is the Cleveland Chapter.
The Standards Achievement Award recognizes significant and exceptional service in the area of standards leadership and technical contribution. The recipient is H. Michael Newman, Fellow ASHRAE, manager, utilities computer section, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY.
The Lou Flagg Historical Award recognizes a chapter Gold Ribbon award winner for compiling information on outstanding historical projects or persons related to HVACR. The recipient James Ritter, P.E., who lives in La Crosse, WI, is retired.
The John F. James International Award is given to an ASHRAE member who has done the most to enhance the society's international presence. The recipient is Moustafa Elsayed, Ph.D., a consultant, ProService, Cairo, Egypt.