HVAC Design/Construction Process

Tomorrow's Environment

Preparing For And Completing A Construction Site Field Visit

Here are some things to remember, bring along, and follow up about when seeing how the project is going.
Here are my suggestions for preparing to complete a construction administration site visit as the design engineer for the project.
Read More

Tablet As Building Engineering Tool, Part 3: Commissioning

What to use for capturing the images and data you need?
In the previous installment on using your tablet to engineer buildings, we focused on design, touching upon apps used to sketch concepts, review drawings, and perform calculations.
Read More
Tomorrow’s Environment

Prepare To Attend A Construction Meeting

Construction projects are only as successful as construction meetings. The first of four parts begins to get everyone on board and on the right track.
This month and in the next three months, I will be sharing my experience pertaining to a design engineer who is responsible for the construction administration of the project he just completed the design for, with construction underway.
Read More

Tablet As Building Engineering Tool, Part 2: Designing

Reviewing documents, sizing equipment and systems, and sketching on the go: got an app for that? Also, we compare tablet vs. phone and the advantages or worries that come with taking your tablet into imperfect field conditions. How do you use yours?
After a brief hiatus, we are resuming exploration of the tablet as engineering tool. In the first article, we examined the energy study and how the tablet can facilitate tasks such as annotating existing documents, taking notes, and storing and accessing documents.
Read More

The Tablet's Potential For Engineering Buildings

The first installment in this series introduces the collaborative tablet engineering experiment, and it establishes a roadmap for exploration of the tablet’s potential contribution to enhancing and streamlining our collective engineering endeavors.
When I was a kid, programming on my Texas Instruments TI-16 and later on a Commodore 64, I was making simple games to play.
Read More
Tomorrow's Environment

Successful HVAC Training At Project Closeout

Designers with “better things to do” and shortsighted owners create obstacles for long-term efficiency.
I have a pet peeve with HVAC design engineers who do not put enough thought into a project’s contract document specification for training the client’s operation and maintenance personnel.
Read More
Commissioning

Owner Training For Non-Operators

Building owners must be proactive when it comes to safeguarding and maintaining systems at the completion of a building project.
This is the conclusion of my series addressing training for buildings where O&M will be outsourced.
Read More
Commissioning

The Importance of MEP Coordination

Can a project manager overcome the desire to suspend belief in physics and common sense?
Last month, I addressed the challenge faced by new construction project teams to build faster and cheaper. In the normal project delivery process, this responsibility falls on the construction manager and/or general contractor (CMGC).
Read More

Chillers Past, Present and Future

A couple of industry pros weigh in on how past ‘best practices’ sometimes get in the way of current potential, and on where technology might point.
We had an idea to try something different this month — invite chiller manufacturers to give us their insights on one of two topics. We invited them to either talk about common errors in project design/installation/O&M, with an eye toward helping readers get the intended performance out of their equipment. Or, they could write about what they see happening in this sector in the future. In a stroke of good luck, we had one response to each question. – Ed.)
Read More
Commissioning

FASTER + CHEAPER ≠ Better

Can a project manager overcome the desire to suspend belief in physics and common sense?
My recent columns have been puzzling through the question of why owners are accepting unfinished construction projects as substantially complete.
Read More

Multimedia

Videos

Image Galleries

ES Gallery: Snapshots & Systems

Check out highlights from projects featured in our magazine this year!

Engineered Systems Magazine

es0914_Cover-100.jpg

2014 September

Check out the September 2014 issue of Engineered Systems, with features on radiant panels, refrigerant flow systems, and much more!

Table Of Contents Subscribe

System Design

Based on your experience and knowledge level, are you currently comfortable designing or maintaining a system incorporating VRF or radiant ceiling panels?
View Results Poll Archive

THE ENGINEERED SYSTEMS STORE

The_Green_Energy_Management
The Green Energy Management Book

Learn from our experts how to evaluate job opportunities, market your services, sell a Walk-through Survey, target areas for an Energy Audit, calculate energy savings, do retrofit work, and win continuing contracts for retrofit work.

More Products

Clear Seas Research

Clear Seas Research ImageWith access to over one million professionals and more than 60 industry-specific publications,Clear Seas Research offers relevant insights from those who know your industry best. Let us customize a market research solution that exceeds your marketing goals.

Tomorrow's Environment Podcast

This series from longtime columnist and chronic forward-thinker Howard McKew covers a lot of ground -- from retrocommissioning to systems training, on toward checklists for drawings and tips for meeting minutes. Click HERE to be taken to the podcast page!

STAY CONNECTED

new Facebook icon Twitter icon YouTube iconLinkedIn icon  Google+