In the ever-evolving world of building information modeling, putting process before technology solves fundamental issues. Read on as the authors touch on Agile, common roles, and BIM’s fate over the course of a project.
Pressure independent control valves proved to be a key in wringing the benefits out of smartly managed chilled water temperature, but that wasn’t all. Airside energy recovery, desiccant dehumidification to eliminate reheat in operating room environments, and upgrading to ECM fan systems have all contributed to this hospital’s fiscal wellness.
For a building program to be successful and sustainable, it must include an operating budget as well as a construction budget. Fifteen to 20% of the total cost of a building is first cost, and that remaining 80% or more is in the operation of the building over its life.
ASHRAE 170 is just the baseline for the fight against hospital acquired infections (HAIs). The ongoing human and financial tolls taken by these infections point to the need for engineers and facilities to raise their IAQ game wherever possible. Move beyond the minimum and get into the what, where, and how of HEPA filtration, ultraviolet technology, and catalytic air cleaners.
Cornell’s Bill and Melinda Gates Hall required a suitably thoughtful design process. After considerable analysis, an unusual strategy emerged, led by chilled beams and DOAS with key dehumidification elements.
Boiler Maintenance & Lifecycle Costs; Proper upkeep can seem like a high bar, but it's nothing compared to a drain on the budget, an avoidable full replacement, or an on-site incident, read more in January issue.