Building efficiency groundwork proceeds for energy legislation
The report, Producing High-Performance Federal Buildings, was developed at the request of Rep. Russ Carnahan (D-MO), co-chair of the High-Performance Building Congressional Caucus, by the leadership of the High Performance Building Congressional Caucus Coalition, which works to heighten awareness and inform policymakers about the major impact buildings have on health, safety, and welfare.
The report is being issued to other High-Performance Building Congressional Caucus members as well as to other relevant Congressional offices.
“These recommendations, if implemented through upcoming energy legislation, will provide an effective transition to reduced energy consumption, enhanced sustainability, improved building operation and maintenance, and more efficient use of national resources in the federal building stock,” said Doug Read, program director of government affairs for the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE), and chair of the Coalition.
The recommendations include:
- Require true life-cycle analysis and decision-making for the acquisition of federal buildings
- Require total building commissioning for the federal building stock
- Require integrated project delivery, including whole building design, procurement and construction for federal buildings
- Require building information modeling and support building data interoperability for federal buildings
- Require comprehensive education and training and higher levels of competence in the federal building design, property management, operations and maintenance, and procurement communities
- Require the collection, storage, dissemination. and utilization for federal building performance data
More information on the Coalition and a copy of the report can be found at www.hpbccc.org.
The High-Performance Buildings Congressional Caucus Coalition (HPBCCC) is a private-sector coalition providing guidance and support to the High-Performance Building Caucus of the U.S. Congress. The High-Performance Buildings Congressional Caucus Coalition will work with the Congressional Caucus to promote and showcase best practices in building design and focus on issues reflecting all aspects of high-performance buildings including: accessibility, aesthetics, cost-effectiveness, functionality, historic preservation, productivity, safety and security, and sustainability.